Surgery is often just the first step in recovering from a major cardiac event, like heart failure, bypass surgery or other operations related to the cardiopulmonary and cardiovascular systems. The road to recovery can be a long one, but with the help of a home health agency that specializes in cardiac care – like Northwest Home Health & Rehab – you can feel confident that your patient’s recovery is in good hands.
At Northwest Home Health & Rehab, our care team assists each cardiac patient in returning to their optimal state of health. The Cardiac Care Team may include:
- Registered Nurses, many of whom have years of experience in cardiovascular care.
- Physical or Occupational Therapists, who prevent further injury through improving strength and mobility.
- Medical Social Workers, who connect patients with resources in their community to help coordinate care.
- Home Health Aides, who assist in daily, non-medical tasks until the patient can resume them independently.
Our Cardiac Care Team works closely with the cardiologist to coordinate care and make adjustments to medication, therapy and diet as necessary. Cardiac patients are ideal candidates for our telehealth monitoring system, Honeywell HomMed, which helps us provide 24/7 vitals monitoring and trend reports.
We believe that knowledge is one of the most important components of recovery and strive to educate patients on how to resume healthy habits. Typically, our Cardiac Care Team instructs patients in proper:
- Diet – Our team guides patients in preparing meals that will fit their post-recovery lifestyle.
- Cardiac Medications – Whether our team is assisting in administering IV or oral medications or monitoring their effectiveness throughout the recovery process, you can rest easy knowing that your patients are under a watchful eye.
- Lifestyle Changes – In addition to diet, patients may need to alter their exercise or other habits to achieve their optimal recovery. These changes, in addition to dietary changes and medication, can help improve the patients’ quality of life and make the most of their cardiac care.
These coordinated care efforts from the cardiologist and the Northwest Home Health & Rehab team help reduce post-op infections and readmission to the hospital. Patients heal in an environment they know without sacrificing the great care of an experienced medical care team.
For more information on our home health care services for cardio patients in Boone, Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, Ogle, Will and Winnebago counties, please call our administrative office at (847) 854-0186 or fill out the form on our Contact page.